04 February 2011

BINONDO PHOTOWALK Part 1 : THE CELEBRATION

CHINESE LUNAR YEAR CELEBRATION 2001
Chinatown, Binondo, Manila, NCR, Philippines
3 February 2001 

 dragon dance...

Last Thursday, February 3, a few friends and I had a photowalk in Manila Chinatown, or what is mostly known today as Binondo, in the port district just a few blocks from the Old Intramuros. It was a day of prosperity and new hope for our Fil-Chinese friends and families, and a great opportunity for us to capture some photos.

As hordes of people gather to celebrate the coming of the Year of the Rabbit, we were busy hopping and clicking, jumping from one subject to another. Some folks went there for the festivities and tradition, others to huggle and bargain, while a few just passed by from work to enjoy the merrymaking. But what I found amusing, is that, a good percentage of the crowd are all carrying a camera. From  various phone & digital cameras, to film SLRs, and the current favourite accessory of Pinoys, the DSLRs. Now there goes my dream of capturing a good image where only I would have hoped of had taken. Most probably, the photos that I post today will have dozens of cousins and neighbors in a weeks time. 

But it doesn't matter anyway. I had a great time, took a few decent shots, and had indulged myself, once again, to a delicious meal from my favourite Chinese restaurant, Wai Ying, with my usual roasted duck mami, with chicken feet & beancurd roll dimsum. Now, that's a welcome trade off to the 7-hour walk that we had that day.


dragon dance...

The most anticipated event in every Chinese celebration such as this, is the dragon dance. I don't know the complete facts or history behind it because I'm no expert regarding this. I Just know that it's a belief to ward off evil spirits and unlucky vibes, and to hope for more prosperous and healthy year. This performance is usually topped off with fireworks, lots of them...and loud, too!  I know, because I can still hear some ringing in my ear from all those Judas Belts. This performance is usually commisioned by establishments and other households to usher goodluck and prosperity to either business or family.


dragon dance...

Normally, after the "Dragon's" performance, they would enter the establishment for a final ritual of blessings and "gift-givings". But sometimes, they would hang a garland or packets above any door or threshold, and the dragon must catch it with it's mouth, and gets the reward.


dragon dance...

For us, photographers, it's always an exciting treat to snap these kind of festivities with vibrant colors and vigorous activites. Where our minds and fingers are racing to get that perfect shot. But it's also thrilling and exciting for normal folks to throw themselves in and have their pictures taken, thus, maybe ruining your shot. But I don't mind, really...they make a welcome subject for me. Even better if It gets me the chance to capture a lovely lady like her.




Later after lunch, while some people were being entertained by celebrities and musicians in a concert in front of Binondo Church, we chanced upon the motorcade of the Fil-Chinese community, led by some of the local officials and politicians. There were bands, princesses and muses, floats of families, actors, celebrities, representatives from different schools, organizations and chambers of commerce, business establishments, and lots of candies being thrown into the crowd.



 
More photos of our photowalk are found in my FB account, but before that, I would like to give my sincere admiration and gratitude to the volunteer fire brigade of our country. I won't get into too much detail, but just know that we are forever indebted to your bravery and self-sacrifice. I especially admire the Fil-Chinese Volunteers from Binondo and other parts of Manila, and would like to post some photos for them.





Next:
BINONDO PHOTOWALK Part 2 : TREASURES

LINKS:

To see more photos from this photowalk, please visit my facebook album.

or
To see more of my other works, please visit  my flickr photostream


3 comments:

  1. panalo ser!
    parang ang papangit ng shots ko haha

    ReplyDelete
  2. hahaha..di naman. ngayon pa lng ako mag eedit ng 2nd batch.

    post ka na sa indios!

    ReplyDelete
  3. agh. namiss ko yung binondo ah. sayang hinde ako nakasama nun sa photowalk nung friend ko... ahehe... may nagyaya rin pala nun saken nung Chinese New Year...

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...